Want to keep track of events relevant to the discipline and profession of psychology in a national calendar? Look no further. The CPA maintains a calendar of upcoming events as a service to the community. Keep your agendas open and mark your calendars! If you would like to advertise your event, please contact us.
To place an ad or to make enquiries, contact:
Phone: (613) 237-2144, ext 324
Chronological Listing of Events
April 1, 2017 - April 5, 2017
2017 Trauma and Attachment Conference
Healing Complex Trauma and Attachment Dysregulation in Children, Youth, and Adults
- Location: St. Catharines Golf & Country Club, St. Catharines, Ontario
- Understanding the foundations (including neurological, social, physiological, and psychological implications of trauma and attachment dysregulation)
- Phase-based clinical applications to promote healing and integration of trauma and attachment dysregulation
- Learn about hot and cold decision-making and its relevance to psychotherapy and understanding behaviour
- Integrating meditation, yoga, posturing, and energy-based practises into your clinical practice to enhance healing and restore power and regulation to the body and mind
- Using adventure-based therapy to promote connection and agency following trauma
- Understanding how maltreatment affects brain regions, pathways and circuits and their implications for treatment
- Assessment and treatment of dissociation
- Practical techniques that can be used to help individuals with dissociative symptoms become more receptive to treatment, and help bypass the protective avoidance strategies that lead to shutdown states, amnesia, and identity confusion
- Gain an understanding of why and how the expressive arts works so well as a treatment with trauma survivors and what the secret is to your success
- Learn techniques that can be used through the three stages of trauma recovery; Safety and Stabilization, Trauma Memory Processing and Reconnection. (These phases make up the Tri-Phasic Model as developed by Judith Herman).
We are thrilled to host Dr. Martin Teicher world renowned neuroscientist as our keynote speaker. Dr. Teicher is the Director of the Developmental Biopsychiatry Research Program at McLean Hospital and an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard. Dr. Teicher has authored over 200 articles. The primary mission of Dr. Teicher’s research is to improve the life of children, adolescents and adults by exploring the etiology and treatment of psychiatric disorders that arise during development. A major focus of his work is on the effects of childhood traumatic stress and he pioneered studies into the effects of abuse on brain development. Another focus has been on the use of technology to aid in objective psychiatric diagnosis.
Join us to learn about leading approaches for treating trauma and promoting post-traumatic growth. This comprehensive conference will cover a range of topics such as:
Day 1 Understanding the Foundations of Trauma and Attachment
Day 2 Phase-Based Clinical Applications to Promote Healing and Integration of Trauma and Attachment Dysregulation – with presenter: Lori Gill
Day 1 & 2 ~ April 1 & 2 Advanced Stream (Ideal for those who have completed the above foundational training):
Day 1 Healing Energy: Easing the Effects of Trauma with Energy Therapy with presenter: Carol Cowan
Day 2 AM The Therapeutic Application of Adventure: Restoring a Sense of Connection and Personal Agency After Trauma with presenter: Sarah Connolly
Day 2 PM Making "bad" decisions? Hot and Cold Decision-making and its relevance to psychotherapy and understanding behaviour with presenter: Sean Robb
Day 3 ~ April 3: Childhood Abuse, Brain Development, Psychopathology and Addictions with presenter: Dr. Martin Teicher
Day 4 ~ April 4: Treating the Child Survivor with presenter: Dr. Joyanna Silberg
Day 5 ~ April 5: Expressive Arts Therapies to Promote Healing Following Trauma with presenter: Cher Curshen
The conference will be held at the St. Catharines Golf Club. Please see link for conference details.
Submission deadline: Monday, April 10, 2017
Call for Abstracts
13th Annual CADDRA ADHD Conference
Submissions are invited for workshops and seminars at the 2017 CADDRA conference (October 27-28, 2017). Standard sessions are 60 minutes (including question and answer period). Workshops should be interactive and geared to a small group setting (max. 30 attendees). There will also be an option to submit a 120 minute extended workshop or seminar proposal. Workshops and seminars may be presented in English or French. A minimum of two workshops or seminars will be scheduled in French at each break-out session.
4th Annual ADHD Research Day
Submissions are invited for oral presentations (English only) at the ADHD Research Day. Talks by independent researchers can be up to 30 minutes long (including Q&A) and trainee/student talks will be 15 minutes (including Q&A).
Posters may be submitted in English or French.
Industry posters will be subject to a $500 fee if accepted.
All posters will undergo a blind peer-review process.
Both events will be held at the Hilton Quebec in Quebec City.
April 18th, 2017
First Public Presentation of the Gifted Index
- Location: Edmonton, AB
Dr. Linda Kreger Silverman, a psychologist who specializes in assessing gifted and twice exceptional children (gifted children with learning disabilities) has worked closely with WISC IQ test constructors. On April 18th, Dr. Silverman will be offering a workshop for Canadian psychologists through the Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium (ERLC), introducing the Expanded General Ability Index (EGAI) of the WISC-V. She envisioned this “Gifted Index” a few months ago, and Pearson Assessments created norms for it. They were just released today. The index is composed of four verbal, two visual-spatial and two mathematical subtests that differentiate between gifted and matched controls, according to research conducted by Pearson staff. The Full Scale IQ score of the WISC-V misses many gifted children because it includes measures of memory, processing speed and eye-hand coordination. Twice exceptional children are particularly at risk for being overlooked for needed services when the Full Scale IQ score is employed in coding them. This will be the first public presentation of the Gifted Index.
May 18th and 19th, 2017
University of Ottawa 6th Annual Interdisciplinary Conference in Psychology (ICP)
- The University of Ottawa will be hosting its 6th Annual Interdisciplinary Conference in Psychology (ICP). This conference is of interest to researchers from any discipline whose research relates to psychology. We welcome submissions from student researchers (undergraduate, graduate, and post-doctoral), academics, and community researchers. The organization committee welcomes submissions related to the interdisciplinary aspects of psychology and cross-disciplinary research related to psychology.
This international, peer-reviewed conference will take place on May 18th and 19th, 2017. We will be accepting abstract submissions until February 25th, 2017 (11:59PM EST).
For more information about submissions and about the conference, please visit www.icp-cip.com
June 5th-9th, 2017
Forensic Training Academy and ConCEPT Professional Training present Summer Training Institute 2017 at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City
- Location: John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City
- Interviewing, Report Writing, and Testifying in Child Custody Cases presented by: Dr. David Martindale
- Forensic & Correctional Applications of the Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI) presented by: Dr. John Edens
- Evidence for Forensic Mental Health Professionals presented by: Dr. David DeMatteo
- Psychological Evaluation in Personal Injury And Civil Rights Cases presented by: Dr. William Foote
- Personality Assessment in Forensic Evaluation using the MMPI-2-RF presented by: Dr. Martin Sellbom
- Professional training by internationally recognized experts in forensic mental health
- Evidence-based best practices, relevant research outcomes, clinical applications
- Build the knowledge, skill set, & expertise to take your practice to the next level
- Student discount of 50% available after May 15
- Lunch and am/pm refreshments included
Url for registration and more details http://bit.ly/2iK4Geo
Forensic Training Academy and ConCEPT Professional Training present: Summer Training Institute 2017 at John Jay College of Criminal Justice
June 5th-9th, 2017 | 08:30AM - 04:30PM
John Jay College of Criminal Justice (New York City)
Join us for our Summer Training Institute to be held at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in midtown Manhattan. Summer Training Institute is 5 days of mix-and-match workshops presented by internationally recognized experts in forensic mental health.
Build your practice and expand your skill set with professional training by: Drs. David DeMatteo, John F. Edens, William Foote, David Martindale, and Martin Sellbom.
Select from 1- and 2- workshops to meet your practice needs. This 5 day professional training opportunity is perfect for forensic mental health professionals, legal professionals, law enforcement & correctional professionals, forensic evaluators, and those wishing to add forensic evaluation to their clinical practice. All workshops are CE approved by the Canadian Psychological Association.
For more information please contact at:
Phone: 888.709.4448 (Dr. Patricia Zapf)
June 8 – 10, 2017
2017 CPA National Convention and CPA Marketplace Trade Show
- Location: Fairmont Royal York Hotel, Toronto
Join the CPA and more than 1,800 of your peers and colleagues from coast to coast, at Canada's largest learning, sharing and networking event dedicated to those engaged in the science, practice and education of psychology in Canada - The CPA National Convention and CPA Marketplace trade show.
The Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) is the national association for the science, practice & education of psychology in Canada, and hosts an annual convention that averages between 1,600 – 1,900 scientists & practitioners of psychology. Over 7,000 members and affiliates make CPA the largest association for psychology in Canada.
June 29-30, 2017
2017 Singapore Conference on Applied Psychology (SCAP 2017)
- Location: Singapore
2017 Singapore Conference on Applied Psychology (SCAP 2017), organized by East Asia Research and supported by Hong Kong Shue Yan University and Singapore University of Technology and Design will be held in the cosmopolitan city of Singapore. We invite researchers & practitioners from all fields of psychology research & practice to present and discuss the most recent innovations, trends, concerns, practical challenges encountered and the solutions adopted in the field of Applied Psychology.
You are invited to attend and participate in this annual international conference which offer numerous opportunities to share your ideas, applications experiences and to establish business or research relations for future collaboration.
Join us for this exciting Conference in Singapore from 29th to 30th June 2017.